This program supported the installation of 1kW photovoltaic (PV) systems throughout Illinois at institutions serving Kindergarten through grade 12. Since 2006, the Foundation awarded more than $5 million in grants to more than 450 small-scale solar grants to educational institutions in Illinois. Each 1kW PV system installation allowed students to see how sunlight is converted into electricity and follow their system’s real-time generation online. The goal of this program was to turn school buildings into hands-on science experiments, helping teachers to instruct students about science, math, technology, the environment and other important topics. Ongoing support for schools is being provided by the Foundation for Environmental Education.
- Repairs Roadmap for K-12 Solar Schools Grantees
- Green Buildings Career Map
- IBEW Illinois Renewable Energy Truck (Available for demonstrations). Click on this link to schedule the truck.
- Illinois Green Schools Project – Bring together students, teachers, and staff at your
school to collaborate in the Illinois Green Schools Project – a year-long, project-based
challenge to devise and implement creative no- to low-cost sustainable practices.
Through the Illinois Green Schools Project, participating schools receive resources and
support from a Green Schools Mentor to guide project implementation.
- Illinois Solar Schools and Illinois Wind Schools
- Teacher Resources Page