In order to be considered for a grant, you must complete a Letter of Inquiry Application online by the January 15, 2013 or July 16, 2013 deadline.
A Letter of Inquiry Application Consists of:
1. Your answers to an Online Questionnaire that collects information on your organization and details on the proposed project.
2. Your completed Letter of Inquiry Form that provides a detailed project description, uploaded as an attachment.
3. If you are a 501 (c)3 non-profit organization, the following additional attachments:
- A copy of your organization's Federal Internal Revenue Service Tax determination letter
- A copy of your organization's most recent Illinois Charitable Organization Annual Report
- A copy of your organization's current year summary budget
- A copy of your organization's audited summary Financial Statements or Annual Report
Your Letter of Inquiry Application is the first step in our grant application process. The process is competitive. Some applicants may be invited to submit a Full Proposal at a lesser amount than originally requested, while other applicants may be declined at this stage altogether. The Full Proposal Application involves updating the online questionnaire and uploading additional attachments. You will be notified by e-mail within two months of the application deadline of whether your project was selected to move forward in the Foundation's grant application process.
The entire process lasts approximately four months from the time a Letter of Inquiry Application is received until awards are announced.
Step 1: Review the Guidelines and Criteria prior to beginning your application.
Step 2: Gather the information that you will need to complete your Online Questionnaire and Letter of Inquiry Form. You will find it helpful to have the following on hand as you prepare your Letter of Inquiry Application:
- Project estimate/bid
- Project timeline
- List and status of funding request(s) from other sources
Step 3: Download and complete the Letter of Inquiry Form. Save it to your computer as you will need to attach it to your online application.Step 4:
Step 5: Review and submit your Online Letter of Inquiry Application. You will have an opportunity to review your materials before submitting your application. After you click on "Submit," you will receive an e-mail confirmation. If you do not receive an e-mail confirmation, please check your spam or junk folders for the message. If it is not there, please call the Renewable Energy Program Area Officer at 312-372-5191 to ensure that we have received your application.
Step 6: You may receive a follow-up e-mail or telephone call from the Foundation with additional questions regarding your funding request.
Step 7: You will be notified within approximately two months from the application deadline of the Foundation's decision on your Letter of Inquiry Application. Some applicants will be asked to submit Full Proposals (also online), others will be asked to submit Full Proposals at lesser amounts than originally requested and some may be declined altogether.
Frequently Asked Questions related to the Foundation's Renewable Energy Grant Program.Online Application Tutorial